Did You Know?
- To assist motorists from venturing into the maze of neighborhood roads, a red-dashed line down the center of the main road marks 17-Mile Drive.
- During the California Sea Lions birthing season, portions of the shoreline are protected from visitor intrusion with fencing.
- It is estimated that nearly 8,000,000 vehicles have visited Pebble Beach Resorts since 1990 to enjoy the sights, sounds and events.
- Although the route has changed over the years, since it first opened in 1881, 17-Mile Drive is still exactly 17 miles long.
- The Monterey Cypress is native to only two areas: the Point Lobos headland and the headlands at Cypress Point along 17-Mile Drive.
- The Lone Cypress is consistently rated among the 10 most famous trees in the world by numerous websites and publications.
- Many locations along the Drive have starred in motion pictures including National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor, The Caddie with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, One Eyed Jack with Karl Malden and Marlon Brando, and Escape to Witch Mountain (Disney).