The Early Days of the Equestrian Center
In 1920, Pebble Beach Resorts developer Samuel F.B. Morse cleared a field near today’s Equestrian Center. The purpose was as an airstrip, because many of the Resorts’ visitors and some of the early landowners were aviation enthusiasts who flew their own small planes. However, there were also a growing number of homeowners in Del Monte Forest, including Morse, who required boarding stables for their horses.
So in 1924, the initial stables were built near the airfield. Featuring a rectangular, open-interior courtyard, they were simple board-and-batten quadrangle stables and built at a cost of $12,000.