Bellwether Farms Ricotta Gnudi with Italian Cherry Tomatoes
Bring a pot of water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Meanwhile, to make the gnudi:
- Whip ricotta in the bowl of a mixer with the wire whisk until smooth.
- Add the cheese, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Remove the mixture from the machine and place it on a flat work surface that has been dusted with 4 oz. flour. Incorporate the flour by turning the dough gently with your hand and a bench scraper. (If you do not have a bench scraper use your hands completely — it will just be a little messier).
- Roll just a little bit of dough with a touch more flour and test a piece in simmering water.
- Put a little more flour in front of you on the counter and roll the dough into a long snake, about an inch in diameter. Cut the gnudi into diamonds
Next, to make the sauce:
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil with the crushed garlic and arbol chile.
- Remove the garlic once it has turned a golden brown and add the tomato. Allow the tomato to simmer to a sauce-like consistency and turn the heat off.
Finally, cook the gnudi in your simmering water. The gnudi are somewhat delicate so do not allow the water to come to a rolling boil.
Remove the gnudi from the water and put them into the sauce. Add cubed mozzarella di bufala and basil and toss once. Plate into bowls and enjoy!
- 3 lb quality ricotta, drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 250 g Italian “00” flour plus more for dusting
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- Semolina for dusting
- .5 can (16 oz) canned Italian cherry tomatoes, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the side of a knife
- 2 dried de arbol chiles
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package mozzarella di bufala, cubed
- .25 bunch basil, torn